About Kent Carers Matter
Kent Carers Matter is a campaign developed by Carers FIRST, Carers’ Support - Ashford, Shepway & Swale, Carers’ Support – Canterbury, Dover & Thanet, Crossroads Care Kent and Involve Kent to:
- raise the profile of Carers in Kent
- increase access to Carer services
- support health and social care professionals to identify and refer Carers to services earlier
- provide more opportunities for Carers to engage with and have their say about local and national issues that affect them.
- There are over 6.5 million Carers in the UK (Census 2011)
- Around 1 in 9 adults in Kent (151,000 people) are Carers. (Census 2011)
- A Carer is someone who looks after a family member, partner, friend or neighbour who due to physical or mental illness, disability, age related difficulties or an addiction cannot cope without their support.
- Not everyone who is a Carer uses the term Carer to describe themselves. As a result, they may not be aware of or access the support and services available to them.
- Carers are unpaid and are not the same as paid care workers.
- Carers provide a valuable and often invisible role in society.
- Many Carers combine their caring role with paid work.
- 3 in 5 people will become a Carer at some point in their lives. Carers are all ages and from all backgrounds.
- Looking after yourself as a Carer is important. The earlier Carers access services, the less their caring role impacts on their own health and well-being.
- Health and social care professionals in all settings have an important role to play in identifying Carers early, valuing their input, recognising their support needs and referring on to appropriate services.
- Publicity materials for the public and health/social care professionals which are being distributed widely across Kent
- Representation of the campaign at various community and public events during 2018
- Kent Carers Matter Facebook group
- Twitter hashtag #kentcarersmatter
- Web site at kentcarersmatter.co.uk
- Local media relations.
Help us to promote Kent Carers Matter
Like Kent Carers Matter Facebook page
Follow Kent Carers Matters on Facebook here, like the page and share our posts.
Promote Kent Carers Matter on Twitter
Use our hashtag #kentcarersmatter when you’re tweeting about Carer issues in Kent.
Invite speakers from Carer organisations in Kent
Whether you are an employer, a GP practice, a health or social care setting or a community group, we’re happy to come and talk about Carers, support available and how to make your organisation more Carer-friendly. Check out support in your area to get contact details for your local Carer organisations.
Use the Kent Carers Matter infographic
Please feel free to download and use the Kent Carers Matter infographic we have developed for the campaign wherever you can.
If you are a journalist and would like to cover the Kent Carers Matter campaign we can provide spokespeople from Carer organisations and Carers for you to interview. Please get in touch.